Executive Council Summary Minutes
Beginning with our September 2021 meeting, here you will find a summary of the minutes from our Executive Council meetings.
For further information on any aspect of the minutes or the work of the Executive, please contact our secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary of Minutes – 22nd March 2021 (Zoom)
Update on plans for training and CPE April and in the autumn of 2022
Damien represented NIHCA on the interview panel.
Discussion on interview questions and preparation for future interviews.
Recommendation of the Interview panel-Derek Johnston as President and Michael McMillan as Training Director.
Rosie Morton has agreed to represent NIHCA at the Bereavement Forum.
It was agreed to add to the Patient resource bank by emailing chaplains for what has been useful in their sites.
We continue to look at membership of the Journal of Healthcare Chaplaincy.
Information of places for training, with Ewan Kelly will be sent out to membership.
Positions to be filled on Executive Committee at the AGM, Methodist Member Rep, Presbyterian V.P. and Other V.P.
Summary Minutes 18th Jan 2022 10 am via Zoom
Mervyn Ewing acting Chairperson
Planning for interviews for roles of President and Training Director, Feb/March, the panel of 2 Executive members and 1 Independent representative.
CPE to be held in May 2022, for interviews Damien Quigley will represent NICHA executive committee.
We hope to find the salient points from the NIHCA survey Spring 2021 to help with vision for the years ahead.
Rev Rosie Morton accepted to represent NIHCA at the Bereavement Network.
Damien Quigley continues to update and streamline the Facebook and website pages, an aim is to help people to be directed to training events.
Agreement that new membership forms will be received by the secretary and treasurer.
We met with Anglia Ruskin University Cambridge re training.
We look at the spending budget and work on a business plan for working with the DoH.
The Pastoral Visitors course is postponed to April.
Research Network and Journal Club, Michael is stepping down as Chairperson, and Vivienne is stepping down as Secretary. The Research Network is working on a proposal for a research officer.
From the residential led by RCM consideration may be given to having an alternative view e.g. Christian Medical Association.
Summary of Minutes 16th November 2021 (via Zoom)
Letter from Fr Robert Sloan – resignation from role of President
Letter received from Norman Harrison who will standing down from Training Director in June 2022.
Setting up a sub group – Looking at the workload of each role, President, Director of Training, Secretary and Treasurer and if others roles are needed along with the division of Honoria.
Start the process of informing membership on an expression of interest in President and Training Director Posts.
The Vice Presidents agreed to be Acting President until the AGM, Mervyn Ewing offered to cover the first two months.
- Reports from Office Bearers:
- President – Follow up to the Survey- can we look at ways to present it to e.g. academic sphere, church organisations, Trust management and pastoral chaplaincy magazines.
- Also looking at promoting Chaplaincy e.g. information on the patient resource bank, articles on the strength and depth of the work completed during the year to support patients and staff.
- Damien – is updating the website and streamlining the Facebook pages.
- c) Director of Training:
- the need for a Working Group using the membership of the whole NIHCA to work on a wider business case on Professional Chaplaincy
- Norman to look at providing Zoom at venues this was agreed where suitable.
- Treasurer: –
Gift sent to Fr Robert- on stepping down as President.
Membership to CHCC (College of Healthcare Chaplains) and ENHCC (The European Network of Healthcare Chaplaincy)
Date of next meeting. 18th Jan 2022, 10am.
21st September 2021, 10am. (via Zoom)
A working group to be set up, to look at the present workload of Executive Roles and if the present levels of cost would need increased or evened out. Also to look at the roles of the members according to the constitution and the possibility of a link person to liaise with the Trusts/employers. As we look at the business case for DoH can we consider other roles that may be funded for example a Liaison Officer linking Trusts and resources for NIHCA.
– We would like to update the website and streamline Facebook pages.
– Consideration to be given to possible academic links with the purpose of moving towards a closer connection to accredited academic and professionally recognised programmes as a means to both justify and to increase its funding for training received from the DoH.
– the patient resource bank, which has all been distributed.
– CPE Unit cancelled due to lack of numbers.
– Training Event Dromantine – October 13th -14th– October Training with Bishop Router and Karen Murray of RCM
– March 2022 Training – set now for the 8th and 9th of March (new Training programme says it is 2-3 March) – with Ewan Kelly and Andy Gillies, will be held at Drumalis, and will be a certificated professional chaplaincy qualification in Reflective Practice.
– Zoom-in-Hours – Prof. Chris Swift will undertake a Zoom-in-Hour training session with the NIHCA in December taking the theme of “chaplaincy to those in later life” and Prof Annette Callis (Vanguard University, California) will be speaking to us in January on the theme of staff care in the context of a chaplaincy led course to care for nursing staff named “Tea for the Soul”.
– Intention of Training Director to step down at the end of June 2022
– contact with Robert Cranston who will help us with the Business Plan.
– ENHCC (The European Network of Health Care Chaplaincy) membership actively re-joining
– CHCC (College of Health Care Chaplains) Michael M will take up membership as a NIHCA representative
– If someone leaves active chaplaincy, can they still pay fees and access training? – Constitution section 4:2 Associate membership open to join and attend training.
– Future training to look at in-person and simultaneously on Zoom if possible.
Date of next meeting: November 16th 10am